Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Fear (Peter Godwin)

Another great book by Peter Godwin. This time he tells us about the awful events surrounding the last "elections" and the subsequent GNU (Government of National Unity).

When I first started reading it I thought there was too much information about torture, it was almost "listed". But then I understood that he would be betraying those people who testified if he didn't mention them in the book... and there was no other way of escaping "sensationalism" other than these "listings". 

Apart from this, which never ceases to shock and sicken the reader from beginning to end (human cruelty really has no limits) he does not disappoint, his usual descriptions of Zimbabwe still make you feel nostalgic and in a sense hopeful even in these (more than) hard times. If you are going to read this: PREPARE YOUR STOMACHS and your hearts. I think this was the most difficult book I ever read!




No comments:

Post a Comment